Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is low in calories and high in nutrients. Here are some of the health benefits of eating cabbage:
- Nutrient-rich: Cabbage is packed with nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, folate, and fiber.
- May improve digestion: The fiber in cabbage can help improve digestion and prevent constipation.
- May reduce inflammation: Cabbage contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that may help reduce inflammation in the body.
- May lower the risk of certain diseases: Some studies have shown that eating cabbage may be associated with a lower risk of certain diseases, such as heart disease, certain types of cancer, and diabetes.
- May support weight loss: Cabbage is low in calories and high in fiber, which can help you feel full and satisfied, making it a good choice for people who are trying to lose weight.
There are several types of cabbage that are popular with both consumers and farmers. Here are some of the most common types:
- Green cabbage: This is the most common type of cabbage and is the one you'll find in most grocery stores. It has a round shape and a greenish-white color.
- Red cabbage: This type of cabbage has a reddish-purple color and is slightly sweeter than green cabbage. It's often used in salads and slaws.
- Napa cabbage: Also known as Chinese cabbage, this type of cabbage has a long, cylindrical shape and a mild flavor. It's often used in stir-fries and salads.
- Savoy cabbage: This type of cabbage has a crinkly, curly texture and a milder flavor than green cabbage. It's often used in soups and stews.
- Bok choy: This is a type of Chinese cabbage that has dark green leaves and white stalks. It has a mild flavor and is often used in stir-fries and soups.
In terms of popularity, green cabbage is the most widely grown and consumed type of cabbage. However, red cabbage and Napa cabbage are also quite popular, especially in Asian cuisine. Savoy cabbage and Bok choy are less commonly grown and consumed, but they are still popular with some consumers and farmers.
Suprising Things About Cabbage
One of the most surprising things about cabbage is that it has been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. Ancient Greeks, Romans, and Egyptians all believed in the healing properties of cabbage and used it to treat a variety of ailments.
In fact, during World War I, cabbage leaves were used as bandages to treat wounds and prevent infection. The leaves were wrapped around the wound and held in place with a bandage or cloth. This practice continued during World War II, when cabbage was used to treat soldiers' wounds on the battlefield.
Another surprising fact is that cabbage can actually help to purify water. According to a study published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology, cabbage can be used to remove pollutants from water. The researchers found that cabbage leaves can absorb heavy metals and other pollutants from water, making it a potentially useful tool for water purification.
Lastly, cabbage can also be used to make musical instruments! In Sweden, a traditional musical instrument called a nyckelharpa is made with a body made of carved cabbage wood. The instrument has been used in Swedish folk music for centuries and is still popular today.
The Most Popular Dishes Made With Cabbage
Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that can be used in a wide variety of dishes. Here are some of the most popular dishes made with cabbage:
Coleslaw: This is a classic cabbage dish that's often served as a side dish with barbecue or fried chicken. It's made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and a creamy dressing.
Sauerkraut: Sauerkraut is a traditional German dish made from fermented cabbage. It's often served as a side dish with sausages and other meats.
Cabbage rolls: Cabbage rolls are a dish made from cooked cabbage leaves stuffed with ground meat and rice. They're often served with tomato sauce.
Stir-fried cabbage: Stir-fried cabbage is a simple and healthy dish that's popular in Asian cuisine. It's made by stir-frying shredded cabbage with garlic, ginger, and soy sauce.
Stuffed cabbage soup: This is a hearty soup made with ground beef, rice, and cabbage. The cabbage is stuffed with the beef and rice mixture and then cooked in a tomato-based broth.
Corned beef and cabbage: This is a classic Irish dish that's often served on St. Patrick's Day. It's made by simmering corned beef with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots.
Overall, cabbage is a versatile and nutritious vegetable that can be used in a variety of dishes, from traditional German sauerkraut to Asian stir-fries and hearty soups.
Suppliers for Cabbage
Genesis 8: 22
- South Africa - North West - Zeerust
- Spinach, cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, pepper
- Ukraine - ДНІПРОПЕТРОВСЬКА ОБЛАСТЬ - Dnipro
- We produce frsh fruit and vegatables. We wil be glad to start cooperation.
- grape, apples, onion, garlic, cabbage
- South Africa - Gauteng - Pretoria, klipgat
- We produce finest spinach
- Vegetables carrots, cabbage, spinach, beetroot
- Nigeria - Plateau - Jos
- We produce high quality vegetables in the whole country
- Cabbage, carrots, irishpotatoe, maize, greenbeans
Mugume farm investment
- Uganda - Uganda - Kampala
- Its large and we use capital intensive technology
- Cabbages, onions, green pepper, carrots
- India - MAHARASHTRA - Mumbai
- Cabbage, flowers, tomatoes, bringle (aubergine), onion
- India - Rajasthan - Churu
- Sangri, gobhi, gehu, bajra, gunwar, moong, moth, kachre
Yelemani investments limited
- Zambia - Copperbelt - Ndola
- Cattle and vegetables
- Cattle and vegetables: carrots, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, onion
- Zimbabwe - Harare
Sun Gold Farm, llc
- United States - Oregon 97116 - Forest Grove
- Situated near Verboort, Oregon, this sustainable family farm lies in the historic Tualatin Valley. Rooted in a rich legacy, they grow various vegetables and fruits, ensuring nature's balance with two natural wetlands.
- vegetables, fruits, plants
- Kenya - Nyeri - Lamuria
- We produce vegetables that are very nutritious
- Cabbages, onions, french beans, and spinach
- Kenya - Kenya - Nairobi
- We produce the healthiest cabbages in molo region
- Cabbages, peas, and potatoes
Shop for Cabbage
Go to Offer
- Jozini, South Africa
Self Pick-Up, Home Delivery, Farmers Market,
KwaZulu Natal, Where you direct me
Organic fresh vegetables available through out the year.
Go to Offer
- The prices varies from 5$/ kg to 15$/kg depending on the product you want.
- Bamenda, Cameroon
Self Pick-Up, Farmers Market, Food Delivery Service,
National and international
Go to Offer
- Lusaka, Zambia
Fresh vegetables & herbs
Go to Offer
- Kiserian , Kenya
Self Pick-Up, Home Delivery, Food Delivery Service,
Farmer's Markets Where You Can Buy Cabbage
India - New DelhiYear round
United Kingdom - Cambridgeshire (East England) - St IvesFirst and third Saturday of each month 8.30am to 2.00pm
United Kingdom - Suffolk - LavenhamFourth Sunday of every month
United Kingdom - South West England - Nailsea (Bristol)Third Saturday of the month 9am to 1pm
United Kingdom - Kingston upon Thames (London) - SurbitonThird Saturday of each month 9am - 1pm
United Kingdom - Scotland - Leith (Edinburgh)Every Saturday 10am to 4pm
United Kingdom - Essex - ColchesterFirst Friday of every month
Uganda - Central Region. - KampalaOrder for the Delivery to your Door
United States - Texas 77051 - HoustonYear round
United Kingdom - London - Chislehurst (London)3rd Sunday of the month between 10am and 2pm
United States - Illinois - Chicago, USTuesdays and Fridays from 3-6 PM (June 21 – October 28)
United States - Illinois - ChicagoMondays 3–7pm (June 6 – August 29)