Apples are a unique and special fruit for several reasons:
- Nutritional value: they are a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, and various antioxidants, such as quercetin, which has been linked to anti-inflammatory effects and improved immune function.
- Versatility: they can be eaten raw, cooked, or baked, and are used in a wide range of dishes, from salads and snacks to desserts and main courses.
- Availability: they are grown in many regions around the world and are widely available year-round, making them an accessible and convenient fruit option for many people.
- Culinary history: they have been cultivated and consumed for thousands of years and have played an important role in human culinary traditions and folklore, such as the story of William Tell.
- Cultural significance: they have also become a cultural icon, symbolizing health, wellness, and knowledge (e.g. the story of Adam and Eve in the Bible).
What Types Are Most Popular With Consumers and Farmers?
The most popular types vary by region and country, but the most common worldwide are:
- Red Delicious: This is a classic American apple with a bright red skin and sweet, juicy flesh.
- Golden Delicious: This type has a yellow-green skin and a sweet, mellow flavor, and is often used for cooking and baking.
- Granny Smith: This type has a tart, crisp flavor and a bright green skin, making it a popular choice for snacking and baking.
- Gala: This type has a mild, sweet flavor and a red and yellow striped skin, making it a popular choice for snacking.
- Fuji: This type has a firm texture and a sweet, crisp flavor, and is often used for snacking and cooking.
- Honeycrisp: This type has a crunchy texture and a sweet, juicy flavor, making it a popular choice for snacking and salads.
These are joined by some of the most popular varieties in Europe:
- Braeburn: Has a sweet, tangy flavor and a red and green striped skin, and is often used for snacking and salads.
- Jonagold: it's a cross between the Jonathan and Golden Delicious apples, and has a crisp texture and a sweet, tangy flavor.
- Cox's Orange Pippin: Has a complex, aromatic flavor and a greenish-yellow skin with a red flush, and is often used for cooking and baking.
- Elstar: Has a sweet, tangy flavor and a red and yellow skin, making it a popular choice for snacking and cooking.
- Boskoop: Has a tart, tangy flavor and a green skin, making it a popular choice for cooking and baking.
- Idared: Has a tart, tangy flavor and a red and green skin, and is often used for cooking and baking.
Surprising Things About Apples
One surprising thing is that they float in water because they are made up of about 25% air. This is why they are often used in bobbing games, where participants try to grab apples out of a bucket of water using only their teeth. Additionally, it is estimated that it would take around 36 pieces to produce one gallon of apple cider, and there are over 7,500 different varieties grown around the world.
Finally, apples were brought to North America by European settlers in the 17th century, and they quickly became a staple crop due to their versatility and hardiness.
The Most Popular Dishes Made with Apples
Apple pie: A classic dessert made with sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and a flaky pie crust.
Apple sauce: A sweet and tangy condiment made by cooking apples until they are soft and then pureeing them.
Waldorf salad: A salad made with apples, celery, walnuts, and a creamy dressing.
Apple crisp: A dessert made with sliced apples and a crispy topping made from flour, sugar, and butter.
Apple cider: A beverage made by pressing apples and then simmering the juice until it is reduced and concentrated.
Pork chops with apples: A savory dish made by pan-frying pork chops and then topping them with sautéed apples.
Apple muffins: A breakfast or snack item made with chopped apples and a cinnamon sugar topping.
Suppliers for Apples
- Ukraine - ДНІПРОПЕТРОВСЬКА ОБЛАСТЬ - Dnipro
- We produce frsh fruit and vegatables. We wil be glad to start cooperation.
- grape, apples, onion, garlic, cabbage
- Nigeria - Rivers State - Portharcourt
- We produce natural and fertile vegetables and fruit...
- Cucumber, apple, carrot, watermelon, Pawpaw
- India - Telangana - Hyderabad
- Cantaloupe Melon watermelon
- Apples 🍎 watermelon 🍉 cantaloupe melon 🍈
- India - Himachal pradesh - Shimla
- We produce best quality apples since 1956.
- Apples and pears
Shahed's Fruit and vegetables
- Saudi Arabia - Abha - Al Wadeen
- Orange, apple, cucumber, tomato, banana, etc.
Ultimate fruits and vegetables
- India - Haryana - Faridabad
- I am a trader in azad market delhi
- Apple, mango, peach, grapes, tomato
- United States - AZ - Camp Verde
Straight out fam
- India - Delhi - New Delhi
- Best quality products from our farms in Kashmir valley
- Apples, walnuts, saffron
- United Kingdom - Meopham
- We really care about how our produce is grown and offer many seasonal fruit, vegetables and flowers for pick your own or supplied from our farm shop.
- Gooseberries Strawberries Apples Blackcurrants Sunflowers Sweetcorn Plums Pears Pumpkins Squash Christmas Trees
Starr Ranch Growers
- United States - Washington - Wenatchee
- Grows apples, cherries, and blueberries in central Washington. Offers direct deliveries to retailers, schools, and healthcare facilities. Also provides direct sales to consumers. Farm tours currently unavailable.
- apples, cherries, blueberries
- United States - Connecticut 6794 - Washington Depot
- Averill Farm is a family farm, which has been operated continuously by the Averills since it was purchased in 1746.
- apples (IdaRed, Rome, Baldwin, Northern Spy, Honeygold, Rhode Island Greenings, Spartan, Liberty, Cortland, Empire, Red and Golden Delicious, and Mutsu (Crispin)) pears cider apple cider donuts cut flowers jams and jellies pies pumpkins gourd Indian corn mums maple syrup honey cheddar cheese garlic potatoes tomatoes Christmas trees
Chilton Manor Farm
- United Kingdom - Sittingbourne
- We have fruit and vegetables ready to purchase from our farm shop or you can also enjoy the fun of picking your own from a selection of crops.
- Strawberries Gooseberries Loganberries Redcurrants Raspberries Cherries Blackcurrants Blackberries Plums Apples Pears Sweetcorn Greengages Autumn Raspberries Pumpkins
Shop for Apples
Farmer's Markets Where You Can Buy Apples
India - New DelhiYear round
United Kingdom - Cambridgeshire (East England) - St IvesFirst and third Saturday of each month 8.30am to 2.00pm
United Kingdom - Suffolk - LavenhamFourth Sunday of every month
United Kingdom - South West England - Nailsea (Bristol)Third Saturday of the month 9am to 1pm
United Kingdom - Kingston upon Thames (London) - SurbitonThird Saturday of each month 9am - 1pm
United Kingdom - Scotland - Leith (Edinburgh)Every Saturday 10am to 4pm
United Kingdom - Essex - ColchesterFirst Friday of every month
Uganda - Central Region. - KampalaOrder for the Delivery to your Door
United States - Texas 77051 - HoustonYear round
United Kingdom - London - Chislehurst (London)3rd Sunday of the month between 10am and 2pm
United States - Illinois - Chicago, USTuesdays and Fridays from 3-6 PM (June 21 – October 28)
United States - Illinois - ChicagoMondays 3–7pm (June 6 – August 29)
Read About Apples
The Ultimate Apple Buying Guide: How to Find Your Flavourful CounterpartIf asked in a pub quiz how many varietes of apples would you say there exist? The number you can find out in the article below, but in one you can be sure: some of them can be so different from each other that you wouldn’t believe it’s the same fruit.
Tips on How to Keep Fruit FreshHere are some tips on how to keep your fruit fresh for longer. By following these simple tricks, you can enjoy the delicious taste and nutrients of fruits without fear that it will spoil quickly!